The QR Coupons feature lets you offer scannable coupons to your app users. Each scan of the code will get the app users one step closer to a reward. These square QR codes are downloadable and can easily be printed & placed on a flyer, brochure, or laminated table placard.
In this article, you will find the instructions on how to set up this feature in your app.
This feature is available on the following platforms:
This feature is recommended for the following industries:
- Users will likely have a higher rate of return if there is an end goal or reward.
- Your business can include a contest/ sweepstakes in order to encourage consumers to scan the QR code
Note: An update to all apps that were last updated before April 2014 will cause users to lose all scans.
To set up the QR Coupon feature, follow the steps below:
- Navigate to the Build section of your dashboard.
- Click Add Feature.
- Choose the QR Coupons feature from the menu, then click Select.
- Name your feature, then click Add. Your new feature will now appear in the left-side menu.
- Click on the feature to expand its menu. From the left-side menu you can do the following:
- Use the checkbox to delete the feature.
- Click and drag the arrow icon to rearrange.
- Edit the feature icon by clicking it, then selecting a new image from the fly-up menu.
- Toggle the feature on/off.
- Jump to a specific section (e.g. Content or Custom Design) to adjust the feature settings.
Here you can rename the feature and create your coupons.
- Under Screen Info, change your Screen / Feature Name or leave as-is. This is the name that will appear in the app's feature menu (e.g. Offers instead of QR Coupons).
- Under QR Coupon, click Add QR Coupon. Complete the fields below, then click Add. Repeat this process for each coupon.
- Upload your Mobile Header Image (640x264px) and Tablet Header Image (1536x634px) by clicking Browse to search for photos.
- Time Zone: Enable to use the Global Time Zone located in your Settings area instead of a custom time zone. When disabled, use the dropdown menu to select the appropriate time zone.
- Input a Coupon Name.
- Unique QR Code: Fill out a short term or series of letters/numbers. Your users will not see this anywhere within the app. It is just a unique string that enables your QR code. Note: Make sure your code has no spaces or special characters.
- Select a Start Date & End Date for your coupon. Leave these fields blank if the coupon is redeemable indefinitely.
- Select the Can this Coupon Be Used Again Icon if the coupon is redeemable multiple times.
- Check-Ins Needed to Unlock: The number of times a user must scan the QR code to unlock the deal. If you set this to 0, the deal will immediately be available to all app users.
- Hours Before Next Check-in: The hours a user must wait after scanning the QR code before they can scan again. This prevents users from abusing the feature by scanning multiple times at once.
- Coupon Description: Enter a description that will be displayed when the coupon is unlocked.
- Click Save at the top right when you are done.
Once the feature is saved, you can click the QR code image you have created and download to add for marketing materials.
If you would like to create a custom design for this feature instead of using the Global Design, please refer to the article Feature: Custom Design Area.
If you would like to check on user activity, track engagement, and monitor your top coupon users, you can do so here. Refer to the article Feature: User Activity for more info.
Downloading QR Codes
When you are ready to save and print your QR codes you can do so by navigating to Manage and then to Promote.
- Click REBUILD CODES next to one of your coupons to complete the setup process.
- You can then click DOWNLOAD FLYER in order to scan the codes from your computer and/or download the PDF version to distribute. It is important to verify the code is working before you print and post it.
- After you verify that the code is working, click DOWNLOAD FLYER. The QR code will download in PNG format. You can print the image out, or distribute it however you like!
Having issues scanning your QR coupon code? Try moving your device back from the code gradually in order to gain a larger scanning range; that should do the trick!
If you are still having trouble, you may want to try shortening the text in the QR Code field within the coupon settings. After you do so, make sure to reload the app on your device as well as the code itself before trying again.
Check out some live examples below!
Example of an ongoing coupon with a check-in target amount of 1 (user unlocks coupon on the first scan):
Example of date-defined coupon with a check-in target amount of 5 (user has 4 more scans before redemption):